Advanced research addressing unmet medical needs in retinal vascular disorders and diabetic eye disease
Developing next generation treatments to preserve vision for patients with diseases affecting the back of the eye
Unmet medical needs
At Oxurion we are dedicated to finding and developing drugs to meet medical needs in ophthalmology. According to the World Health Organization, chronic eye disorders account for more than 80% of visual impairment cases worldwide, with the majority of them being back of the eye diseases.
Oxurion’s deep scientific knowledge of diseases affecting the back of the eye has led to the development of a diverse portfolio of disease-modifying therapies aimed to preserve these patients’ vision. Oxurion’s current pipeline is focused on new treatment approaches to diabetic eye disease and macular degeneration.
Our focus on non-VEGF pathways means first and foremost leaving the anti-VEGF pathway. An anti-VEGF is a good product but it only works for 60% of those with DME, meaning there is no effective treatment for the other 40%. Exploring non-VEGF pathways might provide a chance to better address the current unmet medical need of those 40% DME patients. Exploring non-VEGF pathways might provide a chance to better address the current unmet medical need of those 40% DME patients.
Our goal: to be a fast and agile biotech company without sacrificing quality. Our strategy: cross-functional teamwork between our preclinical, clinical and medical teams throughout the R&D process.
The medical team is involved from start to end of a program to bring a new drug to market. The preclinical team is responsible for the research targets explored.
And in all clinical phases, the development team works hard on the regulatory, quality and safety aspects of every program. This collaborative mindset is our key strength, realized under our Science leadership team:
Prof Alan Stitt, PhD
Chief Scientific Officer
Prof Stitt was appointed CSO of Oxurion in January 2021, and is currently overlooking all preclinical research at the Company. Alan Stitt holds the McCauley Chair of Experimental Ophthalmology at Queen’s University of Belfast since 2001 and is internationally known for his research in ophthalmology, particularly in the pathogenesis of diabetic retinopathy and age-related retinal disease. As a member of the Royal Irish Academy (RIA) and a Fellow of the US Association for Research in Vision & Ophthalmology (ARVO), Alan contributes significantly to the international academic community by serving on advisory boards and grant panels, and has a range of editor and editorial board memberships in the ophthalmology arena.
Grace Chang, MD, PhD
Chief Medical Officer
Dr. Chang joins Oxurion from Notal Vision Inc, where she held the position of CMO and was responsible for the scientific and clinical strategy, clinical development and medical affairs programs. She is a board-certified medical and surgical retina specialist and is an Adjunct Clinical Associate Professor in the Department of Ophthalmology, Vitreoretinal Service at the University of Southern California. Prior to this, Dr. Chang held several high-level clinical and strategic roles at Alcon, a former subsidiary of Novartis, following a faculty appointment at the University of Washington. Dr. Chang completed her ophthalmology residency and vitreoretinal fellowship at Harvard Medical School, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary. Additionally, Dr. Chang earned her M.D. from Stanford University, and her Ph.D. from the California Institute of Technology.
Exploring non-VEGF pathways might provide a chance to better address the current unmet medical need of 40% of DME patients.
- Oxurion Science leadership team
Oxurion relies on a network of experienced partners to bring the best possible eye care to patients across the globe. These partnerships include research collaboration, co-development, co-commercialization, and in-licensing agreements.
We are always open to new opportunities for partnership and collaboration for improving eye care.